Considerings and a few other select bloggers have apparently been hosting, “Ten Things Thankful,” for quite some time, and I didn’t know about it. Thanks to seeing Sheena’s post about it at NotAPunkRocker this morning, I am now well aware and plan to join in the happy, grateful madness, even if I have been a bit into doing list-y posts a lot lately.
Ten Things I Am Thankful for Today (as I sit here with a sniffling nose and a dog laying on my foot):
1) My Dad. I started smoking again about a week ago, and I was terrified of his reaction. He had been my biggest supporter and even went as far as to buy patches and lozenges for me. I inadvertently told him over the phone last night and not much was said.
I called him today to possibly cancel our plans for tomorrow because I’m just feeling all stressed out and like I have no time at home to get anything done. He told me that he wanted me to know that he loves me just as much a smoker as a non-smoker. He wanted me to know that he thought I had tried really, REALLY hard. He also wanted me to know that, while he doesn’t like smoking, it’s just something I DO, not who I am. I couldn’t have asked for more acceptance than that.
2) Minnow, my weekend bait-store buddy. He is still in high school (senior year) and he came in the shop to help me on Friday because we were going to get slammed (good weather), and everyone else is frantically trying to get the garden store ready. Minnow makes me smile, he is thoughtful and helpful and friendly.
He makes the time go by quicker and he is willing to do tasks that I do not like, such as bagging up crickets, and he knows everything there is to know about fishing…literally. He and his girlfriend were in this morning and they were just too cute. I wanted to tell her not to break his heart, or I would break her face, but I restrained myself.
3) Figuring out (very slowly) how to post media into WP posts. For the longest time, I just didn’t get it. I was using the “old way” to insert files, and apparently all you have to do is go to that add media wizard and take it from there. Loving that. Loving thinking about posting YouTube videos at the end of the post, that match the post’s tone, like I used to.
4) Friends. It has been forever and a day since I have had friends. People in general scare me and I have such social anxiety that it makes face-to-face interaction terrifying. I can chat all day long with the yahoo’s down at the bait shop, but get me into a situation with a person whose friendship I would like to have, and I go down in a ball of flames. For some reason all of that goes away on the Internet and I have some amazing online friends. I am thankful for the emails, the chats, the likes, the comments, the friendship. I thank you, my friend.
5) Hair ties. I have always worn my hair short, but it is getting long, long, long. Well past my shoulders, which is longer than it’s been since high school. And usually it’s pin straight. Well, now that it’s long, it’s also extremely curly. It does look nice worn down, but I usually have it up because it drives me crazy.
6) Followers. I don’t like to call people that; I prefer “readers,” at the very least. I’d like to say to my readers, “Hi!” because there are several new, and in related news, I just passed 800. I’m not saying that to brag, I’m saying that because I am shocked that 800 people would want to read what I’m writing. That, and I’m not sure all 800 of those are real…maybe that’s just me being paranoid.
7) My nephew and my sister. I am going to see them on Monday and, although this a post about gratefulness from this past week, I am overjoyed and perhaps overly grateful yesterday, today, and (likely) tomorrow that I am getting to visit.
8) Any meal made by DSB. He has cooked three times this week and, while I would rather cook, I do so ever appreciate it. He even made me my favorite, chicken and rice soup, yesterday and I had yummy leftovers for lunch.
9) Blog awards. I have mixed feelings about blog awards. Part of me feels like it’s bragging, part of me doesn’t want to try and figure out a description of me listed A-Z, and part of me just doesn’t know who to pass the award onto because there are sooooo many talented bloggers out there and I don’t want anyone’s feelings to be hurt. I did a lot of thinking on that last night and this morning, and I’ve decided I’m going to accept two I received recently and one I received way back when (but declined…I’m un-declining…that’s ok, right?). It’s going to take a bit to get it all together, but stay tuned. And I’d love to hear your opinion on awards in the comments section (or in my email for that matter).
10) And last but not least, I am thankful for the following video, which I turn to when I feel in the midst of deep change. And don’t hate on my gangsta rap; this song has real meaning.