I used to do a link-up that was a 10-things of thankful, and I did quite enjoy doing it every weekend. The format has changed now, and I can’t find any linkups, so I decided that at the end of every week, I will go out on my own and do a gratitude post. There are so many things out there to be thankful for, yet it is easy to not bring them to one’s consciousness in a mindful way. SO, this is part DBT exercise, part because-I-wanna exercise, and mostly because I want to remember the good stuff, for when the time are NOT so good.
Without further adeiu:
- This week, I am thankful for the four-cup coffee pot my mom purchased for me. I had a huge coffeepot before, and the result was always that I would drink the entire contents every morning, which would leave me sick. Ok, so yes, no self-control. To remedy the situation, I gave up caffeine, but have started to miss it oh-so-much, so this is the solution. The theory — the less coffee that is made, the less I will drink.
- LarBear has been a champ this week (well, every week), but especially this week, with helping me get a caffeine fix every morning even when there was no coffee pot. I’m not sure why a large coffee at McDonald’s must cost $1.95, but it is clear we will be saving money now with brewing it at home. Oh, and LarBear can avoid going out in 25 degree weather, all for the sake of a cup of coffee. I think he will appreciate that!
- The very small mouse problem that started a couple weeks ago in my basement (this is what happens when you live in the country), is no more, after Mom’s boyfriend hooked us up with some poison. I placed it carefully where the dogs couldn’t get to it and there has not been one sign of a mouse ever since.
- I am thankful that I have found it within myself to continue to work on giving second chances and third chances and fourth chances to people in my life who, well, may not deserve it (from the outside looking in). It can be really hard to give up on someone who has been around your entire life, although not impossible.
- In a related thankfulness/gratitude moment, I am grateful that I can still see the good in most people, even when it is buried very deep below the surface.
- I am excited about Thanksgiving plans, getting to see the Big Dawg’s side of the family, and possibly going to see my maternal grandfather’s side of the family a few days after the big Turkey Day.
- Somewhat related, I am very grateful that I am *with it* enough to think about doing these things, and being around all of these people (that I am not used to). Baby steps, Rosa.
- I am grateful basketball season is upon us, and I have already made it to two games at the local college. Go Bods!
- I am thankful for interpersonal communication effectiveness skills learned in DBT, as it seems like LarBear and I get clearer with each other every day, and my other relationships continue to improve, as well.
- I am grateful/thankful/proud that I have cranked out almost one post every other day for over a week, and don’t feel any signs of slowing down yet. I am grateful people still read, still comment, still like, and still listen, even after all this time. Some of my favorite people are my online blog friends, and I am glad I didn’t mess that up too terribly with my extended absence.
What are you grateful for this week? Making these lists may seem a bit mundane now, but they are very helpful to look back on in the future when things might not be so rosy. I know they have helped me tremendously!