We all have our little tricks that keep us going in the worst of times. I choose to use this Ten Things of Thankful to highlight the ten things that keep me sane which I am most thankful for. Don’t forget to go check out Lizzi at Considerings, the originator of this little blog hop, and to link your own at the end of her page.
Sometimes a little gratitude list (even if its for the really, really small stuff) can bring about a big positive change in your attitude. I try to do this blog hop once a week, (which is also perfect because then I don’t have to think too hard about what to write about), but the reason I do it over and over, is simple…it WORKS for me.
- Unlikely, but included nonetheless, super-heavy-duty ponytail holders save my sanity every time. There is nothing worse than having whispies or big chunks of hair touching your face all day. (and yes, when I said touching, I put my fingers up in the air and wiggled) I know I am not alone in having hair that can drive one straight up the wall, although I admit that it’s a bit strange to be my number one item on this list, but I have taken down and put my hair up about nine times today. The long hair struggle…it is real, y’all!
- Anything lavender-scented. My current favorite is a lavender-lilac candle my dad bought me,and I would swear to you that using the lavender lotion by Zum can sometimes be about the only thing that will calm my raging anxiety. Or at least that was the case yesterday. Heaven knows it will be something else tomorrow.
- Kizzie. Kizzie belly rubs and Kizzie kisses and Kizzie barking happily at me and feeding Kizzie treats and Kizzie, Kizzie, Kizzie. If she wasn’t so wild, she could be a certified therapy dog, but she is my therapy dog, so that is what matters. She knows when I am sad and when I am anxious and plants herself in my lap. She licks my tears away, and will lay calmly at my feet through almost anything. I really don’t know what I would do without her at times.4. And Kizzie leads straight into Lucy, the standard poodle that I have opened our home to, who used to live with my mom. She is so darn happy here, it’s amazing — she and Kizzie play and leap around like puppies half the time. With the addition of a little carprofen (which I am also grateful for), her arthritis is kept at a minimum and she can focus on being the Princess that she truly is.
5. That I have managed to actually blog a few times this week. It has been cathartic and freeing and enjoyable and lovely to interact again. I hope I can keep that stuck in my head and repeat over and over.
6. Fairly related, I have found several new bloggers that I am excited to follow. I hadn’t added a new blogger to follow in a really long time, but some super awesome people have stopped by this ol’ place and I am excited to put time and effort into it, like I used to.
7. The fact that LarBear and I both believe in buying the actual CD of an artist’s music. We buy ours mostly from Amazon, and have found some real winners lately with Chris Stapleton, Old Dominion, Cam, Keb Mo, Jana Kramer, and Kacey Musgraves. Just Google, you will find…they are all spectactular! And seeing as music is one of the main things that calms me down, I just consider that we are buying cheap therapy.
8. It’s that time for the Interpersonal Effectiveness Tool, “FAST”, to rear it’s head and I am READY. I have several situations where I do not want to over-apologize, where it is important for me to get across my point of view without losing my self-respect. I have already tried it out a few times, but I am building up to a really big FAST that will be unveiled soon.
9. I am thankful that I have reasonable insurance and that medications are filled as they should be and I can get in to see my treaters when need be.
10. I am thankful for friends who are only an email away, who never give up on me even when I have been gone for a really long time, and who I can start BS’ing with just like old times the moment I am back in the picture. Thank you.